1.4 Other holy places
1.6 Museums and art galleries
Basilica of the National Shrine of St.Thomas
St. Anthony Armenian Church
13.033680.277861 Basilica of the National Shrine of St.Thomas, 38, Santhome High Road, Mylapore (Thirumayilai MRTS one km west), ☎ +91 44 24985455, +91 44 24980758, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 5AM-9PM. In the whole world, there are only three churches built over the tomb of an Apostle of Jesus Christ- the Basilica of Saint Peter built over the tomb of St.Peter in Rome, Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela built over the tomb of St.James in Spain and Basilica of the National Shrine of St.Thomas built over the tomb of St.Thomas. Basilica of the National Shrine of St.Thomas is in Chennai, India. The present National Shrine of St.Thomas is built over the tomb of Saint Thomas the Apostle, who came to India in the year 52 AD. After preaching on the west coast, he came to Chennai (formerly Madras), and suffered martyrdom on a hill at the outskirts of the city, today known as "St. Thomas Mount." His body was buried on the spot over which the present Basilica stands. A valuable work of art kept in the Basilica is an ancient painting of Our Blessed Mother, in front of which the other great apostle of India, St. Francis Xavier, used to pray. There are two new structures today: the Tomb Chapel below the Basilica and 'Museum cum theatre'. The new underground chapel with a separate access outside the church structure, allows pilgrims to pray at the tomb and tourists to visit it, without disturbing the sacred functions in the church. The museum exhibits artifacts connected with St. Thomas and the Basilica, and the theatre is used for screening a short video on the life of the Apostle.
12.9951680.2706782 Church in honour of Our Lady of Health (Church of the Madonna of Velankanni, Annai Velankanni Shrine), Elliot's Beach, Beach Rd, Ashtalakshmi Garden, Besant Nagar (From Indira Nagar MRTS), ☎ +91 44 24911246, +91 44 365 263 421, fax: +91 43 65263 517. 5AM-9PM. Founded in the 16th century after the three miracles: the apparition of Mary and Jesus to a slumbering shepherd boy, the curing of a lame buttermilk vendor, and the survival of Portuguese sailors assaulted by a violent sea storm.
13.03333380.253 Church of Our Lady of Light (Luz Church). Built in 1516 by the Portuguese.
13.0302480.2629744 Descanso Church, St. Mary's Road, Mylapore (Mandaiveli MRTS Station 700 m). A cultural and religious centre. Built in the 17th century. This was where St. Thomas, one of the 12 apostles of Jesus Christ, took rest and also served the people.
13.084880.18045 [dead link] Holy Cross Church (Church of South India), Perumal Nagar, Mogappair East (Thirumangalam Metro Station 2 km east). Or near to Golden Flats Bus Stop), ☎ +91 90431 13263 (Mobil). Built in the 1890s as the Perambur Railway Church, when it was under the railway authorities. Here was earlier a predominantly Anglo-Indian congregation though now there are also families from other southern states.
13.08771880.2553936 Lutheran Adaikalnathar Church (TELC), Tana St, ☎ +91 44 2642 4005. Protestant Church which is more than 100 years old.
13.0795380.264067 St Andrews Church (The Queen of Scottish Churches in the East, Tamil: புனித அந்திரேயா கோவில்), Poonamallee High Road, New Bupathy Nagar (Chennai Egmore Railway Station 200m). Neoclassical church. Built in 1821. The St. Andrews Church has finely etched white Doric columns, black and white tiled marble roof, and a high, sky-blue dome of enviable beauty. On the inner surface of the dome, constellations of stars, as they can be viewed in Scotland, are painted realistically. The body of the church is a circle, with rectangular compartments to the east and west. The circular part 24.5 m in diameter, is crowned by a shallow masonry dome colored a deep blue. This is painted with golden starsand supported by 16 fluted pillars with Corinthian capitals
13.0895880.287458 St. Anthony Armenian Church (Tamil: ஆர்மேனியன் தேவாலயம்), Armenian Street, Parrys (Chennai Beach Railway Station 400m). Opened for visitors 9AM-2:30PM. Constructed in 1712 and reconstructed in 1772. The graves of about 350 Armenians have been laid out throughout the Church. The founder, publisher and editor of the world's first Armenian periodical "Azdarar", Reverend Haroutiun Shmavonian, is buried here. The Belfry adjacent to the main church structure houses six large bells which are rung every Sunday at 9:30AM.
13.052180.252929 St. George's Cathedral, 224, Cathedral Rd (Next to U.S. Consulate), ☎ +91 44-28114261, +91 98409 31556 (mobile). Built in 1815. A neoclassical church. Showing elements of Georgian architecture. It has a towering 45-m spire and ionic columns. The highlight of this cathedral is the graveyard. Connected by a guardrail what was made up of war emblems of the capture of Srirangapatnam in 1799.
13.026180.274310 St. Lazarus' Church.
13.0787580.2867111 St. Mary's Church, Rajaji Salai (Situated in the fort, south to Legislature and Secretariat). Sa-Th 10AM-5PM. This is one of the oldest surviving churches built by the British in India. This is the first English church in India and the oldest Anglican church in the East. Designed by William Dixon, the then Master Gunner of the Fort, it was constructed under the supervision of the Governor Streynsham Master. Given the precarious nature of the English presence in India at the time (not to mention later attacks by the French and the locals), the church has a defensive stance- thick walls, castellated parapets and a well within the grounds - to withstand any bombardment or siege). The church was consecrated on 28 October 1680. The tower was completed in 1701; the steeple added in 1710 and the tower was connected to the main body of the church in 1759. Robert Clive - more famous as Clive of India - married Margaret Maskelyne here in 1753. The first but equally famous wedding was that of Governor Elihu Yale (who was to become the benefactor of Yale College) to Catherine Himmers in November 1680. The interior of the church contains many fascinating plaques and monuments to early British India evoking past glories and lives full of achievement. It also contains the old colours of the Madras Fusiliers, the first European regiment of the East India Company. The glass windows, wall frescos, teak plaques still shine with their all time glory.
13.08987980.28735612 St.Mary's Co-Cathedral, 63/110, Armenian Street,George Town, ☎ +91 44 2538 4848.
13.10319880.2859213 St. Mark's Church, Pedariyar koil Street.
13.08706280.2620514 St. Matthias Church, 7, Vepery Church Road, Vepery, ☎ +91 44 2532 3124. One of the oldest churches in Chennai which was built by the British. Its also has a higher secondary school in the campus which has boys and girls studying in the school.
13.00809980.19532715 Saint Patrick's Cathedral.
13.1090580.2410216 Saint Theresa Church Perambur, Siruvallur High Rd, Jagannathan Colony (Perambur Station 400m away).
13.0053180.1935717 St. Thomas Mount, Parangi Malai, St Thomas Mount, Chennai South. (OTA Metro Station ½ km away (2015), or take bus to stop Butt Road). St. Thomas, referred to as Didymus, in the Gospel of St.John is one of the twelve disciples of Jesus Christ. He is one of the prime witnesses to the resurrection of Jesus. St. Thomas Mount is associated with St. Thomas, the apostle of Christ, who is believed to have been martyred here. The mount is commonly called in Tamil "Parangi Malai" or "Bhringi Malai'.History says 2000 years ago, a saint 'Parangi' lived here ('parangi' in Tamil language is used to refer to a white person). According to local myth, St. Thomas was one of the first Christians to reach India and to preach Christianity. He is believed to have reached South India in AD 52, and spent the last years of his life in a cave on this hill. Tradition states that Thomas was assassinated by an arrow in AD 72, by persons hostile to him. Thus, the hillock acquired the name St. Thomas Mount. Over time Anglo-Indians predominated in this area. A small relic-filled Church built in 1523 by the Portuguese stands at the summit of the 300 feet (90m) high St. Thomas Mount. The place was visited by Pope John Paul II during his visit to India on 5 February 1986. At the northern foot of the mount, is a gateway of four impressive arches surmounted by a cross bearing the inscribed date 1547. A flight of 160 steps leads up to the summit of the mount. There are fourteen stations of the cross erected on the way to the summit.
13.07761580.26918818 Queenship of Mary Church, Vethagiri St, Chintadripet, Adikesavarpuram, Park Town.
13.08720980.24361219 The Tamil Baptist Church, 78/91, Medavakkam Tank Rd, Sanyasipuram, Kilpauk, ☎ +91 44 2640 0717. In Kilpauk is worth a visit. It is a 107-year-old monument.
13.07944480.25666720 Wesley Church.
13.06273280.26436321 Bahram Jung Mosque, Anna Salai, Nandanam (Next to Witco). Late 18th century.
Big Mosque, Chennai
13.0634580.2728622 Big Mosque (Wallajah Mosque), Walajah Road in Triplicane (M: Government Estate Metro Station (2015) or take bus to Stop Adams Market). This is a historical landmark. Constructed by Wallajah family in memory of Nawab Muhammad Ali Walajah, in 1795. It is an imposing structure of symmetry and form of architectural magnificence with an imposing facade. The Mosque stands in extensive grounds, which are being used as a forum for religious and cultural activities. The magnificent grey granite structure is built without steel and wood. This architectural marvel is one of the important mosques in Chennai. The Nawab’s descendants are still living in a mansion known as Amir Mahal. One distinctive feature of this mosque is that the chronogram engraved in stone and fixed on the inside of the western wall of the mosque is by a non-Muslim, Rajah Makkan Lal “Khirad”, a Persian and Arabic scholar of repute, who was the private secretary to the Nawab. It may be mentioned in this regard that, as far as is known, no other mosque in the world has a chronogram composed by a non-Muslim. The Mosque has two minarets at the front. Medieval architecture is clearly visible in the construction of this great mosque. The Eid Prayer timing remains the same, 10AM, since 1749 A.D. This historic mosque is under the management of H.H. Adjoining the Wallajah Mosque is the tomb of the great Islamic saint Maulana Abdul Ali Bahrul Uloom, a divine scholar of the days of the Nawab Wallajah. In this enclosure also are the tombs of the late Nawabs of the Carnatic, the Princess of Arcot and other eminent Muslim scholars and theologians. Wallajah Mosque can be reached either from Ellis Rd (backside) or the Triplicane High Rd.
Casa Verona's Mosque.
13.09361980.29027523 Dharma Kidangu Mosque, Angappa Naicken St, Mannady, George Town. Rebuilt 2008.
Hafiz Ahmad Khan Mosque (next to Vivekanandar Illam).
13.0664880.2678224 Makkah Masjid and Islamic Center, 822, Mt Rd, Anna Salai (Near to Mount Road Dhargah Bus Stop).
13.0846880.2701825 Periamet Mosque (Masjid Periamet).
13.05502880.25506826 Thousand Lights Mosque, Peters Road, Peters Colony, Royapetta. 19th-century multi-domed mosque.
13.01896480.26806427 Adeeswar Temple (Vada Sabari), 82 Santhome Hwy Road, Raja Annamalaipuram, Chennai-28. This temple is the exact replica of Sabari Malai, Kerala where Lord Iyyappa is worshipped.
Gopurams of Kapaleeshwarar Temple
Alamelumangapuram Anjaneya Temple.
Anantha Padmanabhaswami Temple, Adyar Signal.
Angala Parameswari Temple, Royapuram.
Angalamman Temple, Choolaimedu.
12.9862680.1940828 Anjaneyaswami Temple (Luz Anjaneya Temple), Nanganallur, Chennai-61. This temple is very famous because of the deep veneration shown for Lord Hanuman. One amazing fact about this temple is the 32 feet (10m) idol of Anjaneyar that is moulded out of a single rock.
13.04027880.26747329 Apparswami Temple.
Arulmigu Bala Subramanya Swamy Temple, Eldam's Rd.
12.992580.270630 Ashtalakshmi Temple (Ashtalakshmi Kovil), Elliots Beach, Besant Nagar, Chennai.. 9:30AM-12:30PM, 4PM-8:30PM. The temple is dedicated to Lakshmi, the consort of Vishnu. Astha, in Sanskrit, is the number eight and eight forms of Lakshmi are worshipped in the Ashtalakshmi temple.
13.08580.21305631 Ayyappan Koil Temple, Anna Nagar.
13.0189880.268232 Ayyappan Temple (R.A. Puram Ayyappan Koil), Madhavan Nair Street, Mahalingapuram, Nungambakkam, Chennai-34. This is the first temple dedicated to lord Ayyappan in Chennai city. The temple also houses Lord Vinayakar and Lord Subramanian with his consorts Valli and Devayani constituted the Parivarams.
13.11138980.02611133 Bhaktavatsala Perumal Temple.
13.08388980.2734 Chennakesava Perumal Temple.
Chennai Om Sri Skandhashramam.
13.08818580.27856535 Chintadri Pillaiyar Kovil Ekambareswarar Temple, Ekambareshwar Agraharam St, Edapalaiyam, George Town.
12.90611180.24166736 ISKCON Temple, Chennai (ISKCON Temple Puri). Injambakkam. Krishna temple built in 2012.
Jagannath Temple, Chennai.
13.03363480.27019937 Kachchaleswarar Temple. Shiva temple.
Kali, Bari Mallikesvarar Temple, Madhya Kailash (near IIT Madras and Adyar Cancer Institute.).
13.0945580.289138 Kaligambal Temple (Kamakshi Temple), Thambu Chetty Street, Chennai-1.. 6AM-1PM, 3PM-8PM. Dedicated to Kalikambal and Kamateswarar, this temple was built close to sea shore but was relocated in 1640 AD. The great Maratha ruler Shivaji came in the temple to worship on 3 October 1667.
13.03000580.11038139 Kamakshiamman Temple of Mangadu, 21, Permual Koil Street, Srinivasa Nagar, Mangadu. 6AM-1PM, 3PM-8PM. This temple is dedicated to the Divine Mother Shakti as Kamakshi Amman.
12.352580.03944440 Kandaswamy Temple, Cheyyur village (About 29 km from Madurantakam.). The temple was built in 11th century AD and is home to some unique, rich inscriptions of that century, giving an insight into the architectural characteristics of the style adopted by Chola Kings, who dominated those times. Veera Rajendra Chola and Kulothungan III built the Kandaswamy Temple. More two temples built here, at same time, are dedicated to Vanmikhanathar, i.e. Lord Siva, and to Perumal or Lord Vishnu. The Kandaswamy Temple is situated between the Shiva and Vishnu temples and Lord Kandaswamy or Shiva is the principal deity of the temple. The temple has number of shrines of other demigods like Lord Someswara, Goddess Meenakshi, Vinayaka, Dakshinamurthy, Chandikeswara and Muthukumaraswamy, also called as Samharamurthy. The temple has an idol of Muruga, son of the Lord Shiva, standing on five different positions, called by distinct names like: Nrutta Skandar (dancing Muruga), Brahma Sastha (created from Brahma), Balaskandar (child Shanmuga), Sivagurunathar (as teacher to Siva) and Pulinthar (vedan hunter). This Kandaswamy temple of Chennai is the most distinctive one. Other than the deities of utmost belief and the tranquil environment, the temple has an image of Kazhukundran, who had made an artful creation of a temple car in 1521 CE, which is used during the Skanda Sashti festival.
13.0337780.26993741 Kandhazheeswarar temple, Kapaleesvarar Sannadhi Street, Mylapore. Shiva temple.
13.033780.2698542 Kapaleeswarar Temple (Kapaleeshwara), # 12, North Mada Street, Mylapore (Thirumayilai MRTS). 6AM-1PM, 3PM-8PM. One of Chennai's oldest and best-known temples, said to date to the 8th century, although the present structure dates to the 1600s. Notable above all for its soaring, incredibly detailed 37m gopuram (entrance gate). There is a large water tank behind the temple, used for the Thaipusam festival (Jan-Feb), and plenty of flower shops all around and the famous street markets of Mylapore selling Indian handicrafts and brass vessels. Within easy striking distance of the city centre. This temple is for Goddess Karpagambal or 'Goddess of the Wish-Yielding Tree'. The goddess is one of the forms of Parvati, Lord Shiva's wife. Nearby the temple, there are pharmacy shops selling traditional Indian medicines of Ayurveda and Siddha.
Karaneeswarar Temple (of Lord Siva), Mylapore.
13.0246880.2233143 Karaneeswarar Temple (of Lord Siva), Saidapet.
Kasi Viswanatha Temple (of Lord Siva), Ayanavaram.
Kasi Viswanatha Temple (of Lord Siva), Mambalam.
Kothandaramar Temple (of Lord Rama wielding Kothandam - His bow), Mambalam.
Kothandaramaswami Temple (of Lord Rama wielding Kothandam - His bow), Nandambakkam.
Krishnaswami Temple (of Lord Krishna), Muthialpet.
Kundrathur Shiva temple (Vada Thirunageshvaram), Kundrathur (kndrathur bus depot). Sekkizhar built this temple 1,000 years ago.
Kumaran Kundram (The Deity of Lord Murugan in Kumaran Kundram is considered to be equivalent to the one in Swamimalai) (Very near MIT Fly over). small hillock at Kumaran Kundram near by Madras Institute of Technology, very near by the Chennai airport (around 9 km or 5 miles or 15-20 minutes). The temple can also be reached from the airport to Chromepet station by the MRTS train towards Tambaram.
12.98555680.26138944 Marundeeswarar Temple (Marutheeswarar Temple, Tamil: மருந்தீஸ்வரர் ஆலயம்), Thiruvanmiyur, Chennai-41. (in Thiruvanmiyur). 6AM-1PM, 3PM-8PM. Shaiva sidhantha lectures daily 7PM-8:30PM. This temple is believed to have been built in 11th century and is dedicated to Lord Shiva. It is believed that the temple was also visited by Saint Valmiki, who authored the Hindu epic Ramayana. The temple has two entrances, one from East Coast Road and the other from West Tank Street, both adorned by 5-tiered gopuram (gateway tower). The entrance from the West Tank Street has got three gates whereas the entrance from the East Coast Road has only one gate. The temple occupies an area of about 1 acre (0.40 hectares) - numerous images adorn the pillars of the temple, while stucco figures adorn the gopurams. The Mandapam (hall) housing the Somaskanda form of Shiva has 36 massive pillars adorned with carvings.
12.98555680.26138945 Marundeswarar Temple. A Shiva temple having a rich sthala purana or location history.
13.006580.247146 Mathyakailash Temple (Nadukailai), Sardar Patel Road, Adyar, Chennai-20.. 5:30AM-noon, 4PM-8PM. Very popular for locals. Ananda Vinayagar Lord Ganesha (the bestower of Happiness. Ananda, in Sanskrit, means Happiness) sits right in the centre of Parameshwar, Ambikai and Thirumal. The temple is very close to the IIT Madras and Adyar Cancer Institute.
Mundaka Kanni Amman Temple (of Goddess Shakthi), Mylapore.
Muthialpet Bairagimadam Temple.
13.0539580.2767547 [dead link] The Parthasarathy Temple, Tiruvallikkeni (Triplicane). 6:30AM-1PM, 3PM-8PM. Parthasarathy means 'charioteer of Arjuna'. At Tiruvallikkeni (Triplicane) as the Britishers called it, is considered be the oldest temple in the Chennai and origins date back to the 8th century AD, the reference of which has been made in the Vaishnavite works of the Alwar saints. The existence of the Tiruvallikkeni village in referred in the Pallava records and before. The temple derived its name from the pond in front of the temple. It was built by the Pallavas. The temple was renovated by later dynasties, the Chola and the Vijayanagar kingdom. The Temple is dedicated to Lord Krishna. The name Parthasarathy has been derived from two Sanskrit words Partha and Sarathy. The former word refers to Arjuna and the later means Charioteer. Its architecture is a combination of several temple building styles. There are inscriptions of the Pallavas, Cholas and the Vijayanagar kingdom on the temple structure. The temple besides being dedicated to Parthasarathy is also revered for Venkatakrishnaswami and to Ranganathar. The temple, when it was built, housed five avataras of the deity Vishnu. The structure, as it stands today, houses the shrines of popular deities like Venkatakrishnan with Rukmani, Balaraman, Satyaki, Anirudha, Pradyumna, Rama, Lakshmana, Barata, Sita, Shatrugna, Varadaraja and Hanuman.
Prasanna Venkatesa Perumal Temple.
Ravishwarar Temple Sethu Kshetram, Mylapore.
13.02100180.22025148 Saidapet Kamakshi Amman Temple.
12.9888180.1942849 Shirdi Sai Baba Temple, Venkatesa Agraharam, Mylapore, Chennai-4.. 6:30AM-1PM, 3PM-8PM. Built in the memory of the revered saint Sai Baba of Shirdi, this temple is among the two shrines dedicated in Sai Baba's name in the city.
13.035880.236650 Sri Balaji Temple, T. Nagar..
Universal Temple, Sree Ramakrishna Madh, Mylapore,Chennai
13.03199680.26754751 Sri Ramakrishna Math - Universal Temple, 31 Ramakrishna Math Rd, ☎ +91 44 2462110, e-mail: email@example.com. 5AM-11:45AM and 3PM-9PM. Mylapore. Swami Vivekananda on his return from the west was requested by the devotees in Madras (now Chennai) to start a Math here. To fulfill their desire Swamiji sent his brother-disciple Swami Ramakrishnananda to Madras in March 1897. After reaching Madras, the first thing Swami Ramakrishnananda did was to set up a small shrine for Sri Ramakrishna at a rented house. He lived there and led a life of renunciation, service and austerities. Slowly he built up the institution as the present Sri Ramakrishna Math and thus Sri Ramakrishna Math, Madras, came into existence. This is the oldest centre of the Ramakrishna Order in the South. Srimat Swami Bhuteshanandaji Maharaj, the 12th President of Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission, laid the foundation-stone for this Universal Temple on 1 December 1994 in a grand function. It took five years for the project to take shape as the present grand Universal Temple. On 7 Feb 2000 the temple was dedicated by Srimat Swami Ranganathanandaji Maharaj, the 13th President of the Ramakrishna Order. Sri Ramakrishna Math completed hundred years of its service in 1997. The Math is regarded for its spiritual traditions, modern outlook, acceptance of all religions, service as the way of life. With its lushy green surroundings, the Universal Temple is the ideal spot for contemplation and meditation.
13.03582480.23633852 Thirumalai Thirupathi Devasthanam Temple, Venkata Narayana Road, T.Nagar, Chennai-17. (on the seventh peak of Venkata Hill called Venkatachala of the Tirumala Hillocks, the temple lies on the southern banks of Sri Swami Pushkaarini.). 6AM-1PM, 3PM-8PM. Millions of devotees throng this world-renowned temple of Lord Venkatachalapathi. The temple is constructed and maintained by the Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams. It is very crowded on Saturdays and Sundays. The temple contains a book store.
12.96097780.11596653 Thiruneermalai Vishnu Temple (Thiruneermalai Kaalabairavar Temple), Mallima Veedi, Thiruneermalai. This temple is one of the 108 places considered sacred by Vaishnatives. Legend has it that sage Valmiki prayed in the temple and saw the divine darshan of Lord Vishnu in three forms.
13.1610480.2988554 Thyagaraswamy Temple, Thiruvottiyur (Thyagaraja Temple) (north of Chennai.).
13.0530480.2142755 Vadapalani Murugan Temple (Sri Vadapalani Andavar Temple, Tiruvalithayam Vadapalani Andavar Temple), Near the Andavar Koil Street, Vadapalani, Chennai.. 6AM-1PM, 3PM-8:30PM. This ancient temple is dedicated to Lord Muruga. Renovated in 1920s, the temple has grown popularity due to the visits by many cinema stars.
13.000480.26756 Varasiddhi Vinayaka Temple.
12.606780.062557 Vedagiriswarar Temple (Kazhugu Koil or 'the eagle temple', Vengeeswarar Temple), Thirukkalukundram. The main attraction here is the large temple atop the mountain which houses the deity of Vedagiriswarar, Lord Shiva.
Velveeswarar Temple (Agasteeswarar Temple).
Other holy places
13.11131380.29463658 Royapuram Fire Temple (Jal Phiroj Clubwala Dar E Meher), Royapuram. A Parsi fire temple built in 1910.
Sri Guru Nanak Sat Sangh Sabha Gurudwara.
13.05444480.24166759 Valluvar Kottam, Valluvar Kottam High Rd, Nungambakkam. Valluvar Kottam marks the memorial of one of the renowned poet and saint of the region, Tiruvalluvar. The memorial is shaped like a temple chariot and is, in fact, the replica of the temple chariot in Thiruvarur. There is a 101-feet (30m) high temple chariot structure with a life-size image of the poet in it. This chariot is a replica of the temple car of Thiruvarur in Tamil Nadu. The monument stands as a massive auditorium and was open to public in 1976. Over 3,000 blocks of stone were used to create this memorial to Tamil culture. Valluvar Kottam has quite an extensive space. The auditorium at Valluvar Kottam is said to be the largest in Asia and can accommodate about 4,000 people. It is a revered place in the city as it is considered to bear the impressions of the Tamil culture. The auditorium is surrounded by granite pillars that have the inscriptions taken from the famous work of the poet. The epic Tiruvalluvar, written by the poet consists of 1,330 verses, all of which are inscribed on the granite pillar. The 133 chapters of his famous work Thirukkural have been depicted in bas-relief in the front hall corridors of the chariot. It stands as a modern memorial to the great poet who represents the glorious culture of the Tamils.
13.07972280.28694460 Fort St. George (on the banks of Bay of Bengal). Sa-Th 10AM-5PM, closed on F. It was (formerly known as White Town) was established as the East India Company's fortified foothold in Madras and it was from this small trading post (or 'factory' as it was then known) that British influence spread throughout India. The establishment of Fort St. George marked the birth of the new city that is Madras, in the year 1640. The fort was named after St George who is believed to have preached in the region. The British East India Company, after buying the land from the Nayak of Vandavasi in 1639, led the establishment of what was called the Madrasemen, the permanent settlement of the company. One year later they built the fort as a commanding post in the region. With the increased trade activities of East India Company the region soon developed into a popular trade and commerce centre. The British enjoyed the supremacy in the region till 1746, when the French attacked the fort and captured it. After three years, in 1749 the British regained the ruling power by signing a treaty with the French. In the meantime they fortified the base in order to sustain the invasion of Hyder Ali and the French. The fort is believed to be the first establishment of the British in India. It is a military architecture marvel, which was started as a trading post and later evolved to be the origin of modern Indian Army. St. George Fort holds great historical importance and is looked after by the Archaeological Survey of India. It has a number of other monuments within its boundaries. Inside the Fort is the Fort Museum is decorated with cannons of Tipu Sultan. There are a lot of interesting artifacts showcased in the museum like coins, artifacts and so on. Apart from the museum, the southern division of the Archaeological Survey of India is located here. The place is famous for its exotic collection of books in the library. Today, Fort St George is famous for housing the legislative assembly and is known as the secretariat building. The fort in its present form looks more like a mansion, rather any fort. Various Government offices function inside this building, including the structure which used to be the residence of Robert Clive called the Clive House. St. Mary's Church, situated in the fort, is one of the oldest surviving churches built by the British in India. The tallest flag pole in the country can be seen here: its height is 150 ft (46 m). The pole is now made of metal. The original had been made entirely of teak wood. Fort Museum: for children under 15 years free. For Indians: ₹5/-. For foreigners: US$20.
Museums and art galleries
13.01280.243761 Birla Planetarium, Gandhi Mandapam Rd (close to Guindy National Park and Anna University), ☎ +91 44 24410025, +91 44 24416751, +91 44 24915250, +91 44 24918787. The Science and Technology Centre is open on all days except on national holidays. Program Timing 10:45AM–1:45PM and 3:45PM. English noon, Tamil 2:30PM.. Built in memory of B.M. Birla, the well known industrialist and visionary. Adjoining the planetarium is a Periyar Science and Technology Museum which will be of interest to students and other science scholars. Package cost ₹45, ₹20 for children.
13.0706580.25728962 Government Museum. Pantheon Rd, Egmore. Established in 1857, the Government Museum of Chennai is one of the popular tourist destinations in the city. It is a multi-purpose State Government Museum in Egmore, which is in the heart of the city, spreading over an area of 16.25 acres (7 ha) of land. Six independent buildings in this Museum campus has 46 galleries. There is an Archaeology Section, Zoology Section, Botany Section, Geology Section, Numismatics Section, Bronze Gallery, Children’s museum, art gallery and various other interesting sections and galleries. It is considered to be one of the oldest museums of India, since its inception dates back to the Colonial rule. There is history behind the origin of this museum. In 1846 AD, the Madras Literary Society debated the proposal of establishing a museum in the then Madras. The proposal was approved by the Court of Directors of the East India Company in London. The Chennai Government Museum was given this sprawling complex which is maintained by the State Government. There are six independent buildings in the Museum campus, which compose of 46 galleries. The museum was inaugurated on December 5, 1896 by the Sir Arthur Eli bank Havelock, the then Governor. He named it after the former Governor, Lord Connenmara. The museum was designed by H. Irvin, the consulting architect of the Government of Madras. The Government Museum has a splendid hall, marvellous reading room and striking Teak wood shelf and stands divided into a number of sections. Parts of the museum are often closed. Phone: +91 44 28193238, 9:30AM-5PM except holidays. A free guide service is available at 11AM and 3PM.
13.09831980.20843963 Integral Coach Factory. 10AM-6PM. The Railway Coach manufacturing unit of Indian Railways, which has a Rail Museum. The Regional Rail Museum is situated near ICF, Perambur, Chennai amidst the New Avadi Road/Anna Nagar Round Tana/ICF Bus Terminus and Villivakkam. Entry ₹40..
13.06944480.25583364 National Art Gallery, ☎ +91 44 28193238. The top floor, closed in May 2011, offers additional galleries. Sa-Th 9:30AM-5PM, closed F and national holidays. The building of National Arts Gallery was built in the year 1907. This magnificent red sandstone building was designed by Henry Irwin and built by T. Namberumal Chetty. The building represents a typical Indo-Saracenic structure and was initially famous as Victoria Memorial Hall. Built with sandstone and adorned with motifs, the building bears impressions of Mughal architecture. The structure as well as the gallery collections are key factors responsible for the much credited tourist place. The gallery exhibits medieval handicrafts, sculptures, metal ware and paintings belonging to various schools of art, all from the past. The gallery displays paintings belonging to different schools and eras. The gallery's collections are displayed in four different sections that are: Tanjore Painting Gallery, Decorative Art Gallery, Indian Traditional Art Gallery and Ravi Varma Painting Gallery. The Tanjore paintings on glass are wonderful. The miniature paintings from Rajput and Mughal eras are fascinating too. The handicrafts that are displayed in National Arts Gallery belong to the 11th and 12th century, Indian handicrafts, period.
13.049280.280365 Vivekananda House (Vivekanandar Illam), Triplicane (on Marina Beach Road), ☎ +91 44 28446188, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Th-Tu 10AM-12:15PM and 3PM-7:15PM. A colonial house where Swami Vivekananda stayed after his return from Chicago. It was also the location of the Ramakrishna Math for a decade before the Math was moved to its present location in Mylapore. The house now features a museum, painting gallery, photo gallery, book shop and video show on the life and teaching of Vivekananda. It is maintained by the Ramakrishna Math. Meditation and spirituality classes are arranged regularly at a nominal cost. Entry ₹10, classes charged extra.