Sunset @ Thalassery
11.7700975.450861 Dharmadam Island, Dharmadam,Thalassery (4 km from city centre). The 5-acre (20,000 m²) island covered with coconut palms and dense bushes is a beautiful sight from the Muzhappilangad beach. During low tide, one can just walk to the island from the beach. It is surrounded by rivers and seas. Permission is required to enter this privately owned island. Dharmadam, earlier known as Dharmapattanam was a Buddhist stronghold.
11.7677775.480582 Gundert Bungalow, Koduvally. Residence of Rev. Dr. Herman Gundert, a German missionary and great scholar, author of first Malayalam dictionary.
11.7479175.485273 Holy Rosary Church (Near Thalassery Fort). Famous for stained glass works brought from London.
Nettur Hill Church. Built by Rev. Dr. Herman Gundert.
11.7486275.490094 Odathil Mosque (Odathil Palli). Built around 1806 in the heart of Thalassery is Odathil Palli and the Garden Mosque. The site of the Odathil Palli used to be a sugarcane garden of the Dutch. It changed hands to the British-owned East India Company.Moosakaka, a Muslim keralite, was the contractor of the East India Company. Moosakaka hailed from the Keyi family of Thalassery. The Keyis were was one of the prominent traders of the time. Moosakaka was considered to be very honest and trustworthy. Hence the company wanted to gift him for his loyalty. Per his request he was given the sugar garden of the Dutch. Musakaka bought this land for a small price as he did not want it free. He constructed a beautiful mosque in Thalassery in the 'Karimbin-odam' Sugarcane plantation had belonged to the Dutch, occupied by the British. Odam means 'garden' in Dutch language. Since it was constructed in Odam the mosque came to be called Odathil Palli, meaning 'mosque in Odam'. The mosque had copper plate roofing and golden dome in the minor and share the scenic features as the ones noted in the Brahmin/Brahminical tradition. There was opposition in laying the dome - a privilege enjoyed by the temples so Zamorin gave speedy permission to lay the domes and the minaret. It highlights the communal harmony that prevailed in those days and the policy of enlightened toleration followed by the Kerala rulers. All the Muslims can offer prayers but in the graveyard/Kabaristan (graveyard adjacent to the mosque) where only the dead bodies of the Keyis, their wives and children are buried. This is famous among tourists to visit, as its historic tradition and a mosque in pure typical Kerala Hindu style and a golden dome covering over its original sugarcane dome.
11.7503375.484435 Overbury's Folly, Thalassery. Multi-level landscaped recreational park which commands sweeping views of Arabian Sea.
Drive in beach at Muzhappilangad
Shri Jagannath Temple (3 km). This temple was built in 1908 in the style of Jagannath Temple, Puri, Orissa. The beautiful yellow and red structure faces the railway track. Only slow trains stop at the Jagannath Temple Railway Station. An annual festival is conducted here with a lot of fireworks at display. (updated Jul 2015)
Shri Maha Vishnu Temple, Edakkad (10 km). Majestic and sylvan surroundings. (updated Aug 2015)
11.7480975.486636 Thalassery Fort (Tellicherry Fort). 18th-century fort built by british, and a light house.
11.745675.489257 Thalassery Pier (Kadal Palam), Thalassery. An old pier extending out into the Arabian Sea. Built by East India Company in 1910 for transporting commodities to and from ships.
11.7455875.503478 Thiruvangad Sree Ramaswami Temple,, Thalassery (1km from city centre). A prominent temple with carvings as old as 400 years. One of the four famous temples dedicated to Lord Sree Rama in Kerala. Located on an elevated plot of 2.75 hectares with an adjoining temple tank which extends over an area of one hectare, This well maintained temple has excellent wood carvings, terracota art work, mural paintings carved on wooden planks in the ceilings are a repository of art treasure.
Saidhar Pally Masjidh, Calicut Road (2 km). (updated Aug 2015)