Lansdowne is a small hill-station in Pauri-Garhwal District of the Garhwal region of Uttarakhand. Described by some as the gates to the heavenly abode that is the Himalayas, Lansdowne is also one of the most unusual hill stations in India. Far from the crowded, overdeveloped and noisy places that most of the popular hill stations of the north have become, Lansdowne has retained its quiet and serenity thanks to the presence of the local Army Cantonment Board which manages and regulates the development in the town. The town is named after Lord Lansdowne the then Viceroy of India who visited the place in 1884. The town has two churches that were built in the pre-independence era, although only one, St. James, is functional. The town also has a major Hindu temple. The town is located at an average altitude of 1,700 metres above the sea level and has cold winters, cool summers and wet and foggy rainy season. It experiences snowfall during winter months. From the snow view point on a clear day one can view great Himalayan peaks like Chaukhamba. The town has several pre-independence era bungalows, some of them in good shape. The connectivity is good as the roads maintained by the army. The hill station itself is administered by the cantonment board of the Indian Army and therefore is cleaner, much less commercialized and in good shape, although your mobile phones/wireless net may not work unless BSNL. Any time of year is good to visit, although May/June may be a bit crowded and rooms difficult to find.